HP ENVY SCAN TO COMPUTER
A scan can be started from the printer’s control panel or from your screen. When you want to scan one page to an image file easily, scan from the Control Panel. If you want to scan several pages into one file, define the scan file format, or make changes to the scanned document, scan it from your screen.
Scan from your computer
- Depending on your operating system, open the printer software by doing one of the following.
- Windows 8: Right-click the empty area on the screen on the Start tab, click on All Apps in the App bar and then press the printer name icon.
- Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP: Click Start from your computer desktop, select All Programs, click HP, click HP ENVY 4500 series, and then click HP ENVY 4500 series.
- Tap on the Print & Scan icon in the printer program, then pick Scan a Document or Image.
- From the shortcut menu select the type of scan you want, and then click Scan.
- If you want to hold the application open for another search, select Save, or select done to exit.
- Upon saving the scan, a window on the Windows Explorer will open in the directory where the scan was saved.
Prepare the scan
- Up the printer lift the lid.
- Load the original print side down into the scanner glass at the right end.
- Start the scan.
Scan from the printer control panel
- On the printer display, select Scan from Home screen. When you don’t see Printer Scan Display, press the Home button, then tap the Up and Down buttons until you see Scan.
- Select Scan to Computer.
- From the printer display select the computer you want to scan to.
If your computer is not listed on the printer display, make sure that your computer is installed the printer is connected either wirelessly or through a USB cable. If you have Wi-Fi connection and you confirmed that the connection works, you need to activate itWireless software-scanning.
Tips for copy success
- Load your original print side down onto the scanner glass’ right front corner.
- Clean the scanner window, and ensure the foreign materials do not stick to it.
- Select Copy from printer view to increase or decrease the contrast of your printed output
- Then choose Lighter / Darker to adjust the contrast.
- To choose printed output paper size and type of document, choose Copy from the printer
- From the Copy menu select Paper Type for plain or photographic paper and photographic paperSize.
- Select Copy from the printer display to resize the image, and then select Resize
HP Printers - How to Scan (Mac)
Use scanning software to scan from your printer to your Mac.
Scan with HP Easy Scan
Download the Quick Scan feature on HP
- Make sure that HP Easy Scan is enabled on the Mac, and then set the connection to the printer.
- Make sure your printer has a USB cable or local wireless network on and connected to your Mac.
- Open Finder, select Applications, then search for Easy Scan from HP.
- If HP Simple Scan appears in the list, then open it. Press HP Quick Scan on the upper row, and then Check for Updates. Install any updates available, then reopen the program.
- If HP Easy Scan doesn’t display, download and install the App Store’s HP Easy Scan app and then open the window.
- Click the drop-down Scanner menu in HP Easy Scan, and then select your printer.
- Click Browse Scanners if your printer is not showing, and then pick your printer from the list. Skip to What if HP Easy Scan cannot find my printer in Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), if your printer still doesn’t turn up.
- Click the Scanners button to find a printer
Set scan preferences
Set preferences such as resolution, color mode, orientation, or page size, before scanning a document or picture.
- Open HP Easy Scan, and then pick your printer from the drop-down menu on the screen.
- Open the drop-down menu for Presets, then pick a scan task.
- If you are scanning a simple object, such as a single, one-sided, letter-size paper, pick one of the proposed shortcuts and then skip to the next step. You can later crop, rotate, or change the luminosity of your scan.
- If you complete a more complicated scan job, such as a multi-page, legal-size, or detailed document or photo, click Edit Settings and then proceed with these steps.
- Adjust scan settings such as orientation, mode of colour, resolution and size of screen.
- If you are scanning duplex documents, pick the Scan from both sides of the check box on the tab.
- Select the Scan box on both sides of the page
- To save the presets for this scan job press done.
Scan and edit
Scan documents and images from the glass scanner or document feeder, edit the scan and save it afterwards.
HP Printers - How to Scan (Windows)
Use the HP Scan program to configure scan
Scan using the scanner glass
Step 1: Setup scan to email
You must configure your email to a local email client, such as the Windows Mail app, Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail, before you can scan to email. If you have already configured a local client on your computer or do not want to scan to email, skip to the next step.
- Windows Mail software is pre-installed on all computers running Windows 10. Look for mail in Windows, open the app and then add your email address. If using Windows 8, go to How to set up email account in the Windows 8.1 Mail App.
- Microsoft Outlook is available for purchase either individually or as part of the Microsoft Office Suite on the Microsoft Store (in English). For instructions to add your password, go to How to set up an Internet email account in Outlook 2013 or 2016 (in French).
- Mozilla Thunderbird can be downloaded from Mozilla Thunderbird, in English. To install Thunderbird follow the on-screen prompts and add your password.
- Windows Live Mail isn’t available for download anymore but still works if you already have it. Make sure you add the email you wish to scan to Live Mail.
Step 2: Install or update HP Scan
Make sure you have the latest version of the printer software, and then make sure that your printer is connected with a USB cable or a local network to your computer.
- Go to HP Customer Support-to access apps and ride.
- Select your printer model, then click Under User-Product Installation Program, Download next to the full feature app.
- Tap Install next to full driver feature
- Follow the Printer Link Guided Setup guidance.
- Search Windows for HP after the software is installed, and then select your printer to open HP Printer Assistant.
NOTE: If you do not use HP Printer Assistant with your printer program, go to What other scanning methods or applications can be found in Frequently Asked Questions.
- Click Scan a Document or Image on the Scan tab to open HP Scan, and then proceed to next stage.
Step 3: Set preferences for scans
Adjust HP Scan settings before you do a scan job.
Selecting a shortcut and making sure the settings for the scan job are correct
- Shortcuts on scans
- Show viewer to check box after scanning
- Quelling choices
- Check Configurations
- Further Details
- Choose a shortcut for Scan, such as save as PDF or JPEG for Desktop.
NOTE: Select a PDF option to save or email a multipage scan as a single file. JPEG scans on multipage save as separate files.
- Select the check box Display Viewer Upon Scanning.
- If both a paper feeder and scanner glass are in your printer, pick Flatbed under Source.
- Verify that other settings like Page Size and Color Mode are correct for your scan job.
- To change advanced settings, such as Resolution (ppi), Orientation, Destination and File Name, click More.
Step 4: Scan and edit
Load your documents, complete the scan, then edit if required.
- Place the first object on the scanner glass that you want to scan face down, aligning it with the guide at the glass bottom.
- Aligning a text to the edges of the scanner glass with the guides
- Click on scan in HP App.
- The printer scans your document or picture and HP Scan will then show a preview.
- Click on the Add Pages icon in the bottom bar to add pages or scan the other side, place the next item face-down on the scanner glass, and then click Scan.
- To rotate, crop, or adjust brightness and contrast, double-click the individual pages, or press more for advanced options.
- Click Save or Submit when you have done editing your sample.