Canon is a Japanese multinational corporation specializing in the manufacture of imaging and optical products, including cameras, camcorders, photocopiers, steppers, computer printers, and medical equipment. It’s one of the largest companies in Japan and is headquartered in Tokyo. One of the company’s most popular products is its line of printers. Many models of Canon printers have the ability to scan documents and send them as email attachments. If you have a Canon printer and want to learn how to set up scan to email, this blog post is for you!
Download and install the latest drivers and software for your printer
It is important to keep your printer drivers and software up to date to get the most out of your printer. You can download and install the latest drivers and software for your Canon printer from the Canon website.
Once you have downloaded and installed the drivers and software, you will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. After restarting, open the Canon software and follow the instructions on how to set up scan to email.
Configure your SMTP server settings
Assuming you have a printer that is capable of Scan to Email and you have an SMTP server that does not require authentication (it is best practice to use a server that requires authentication):
- Open the E-Mail Setup Utility from the printer’s control panel.
- Enter the IP address or host name of your SMTP server in the Server Address field. If your server uses a non-standard port, enter it after the server address separated by a colon (:).
For example, if your SMTP server is at 192.168.0.5 and it uses port 2525, enter 192.168.0.5:2525 in the Server Address field.
- Leave the User Name and Password fields blank unless your SMTP server requires authentication, then enter the user name and password for your SMTP account in those fields
Set up your account in the printer’s control panel
Assuming you have a Canon printer that is capable of scanning to email, the first thing you’ll need to do is set up your account in the printer’s control panel. This usually involves entering your email address and password, as well as some other basic information.
Once you have your account set up, you’ll be able to select the “Scan To Email” option from the printer’s control panel. From here, you’ll be able to select what type of document you’d like to scan, as well as the quality and resolution.
Once you’ve made your selections, simply hit the “Scan” button and your document will be on its way!
Test your scan to email function
If you’re not sure whether your Canon printer’s scan to email function is working properly, there’s an easy way to test it. Just follow these steps:
- Place a document or picture face-down on the scanner glass.
2. Press the Scan button on your printer.
3. Select Email from the list of options that appears on the LCD screen.
4. Enter your email address in the field provided.
5. Press the Start button to begin scanning.
6. If everything is working properly, you should receive an email with the scanned document or picture attached within a few minutes.
Setting up your GMAIL account
If you have a Canon printer, you can use the “Scan to Email” function to scan a document and send it to your Gmail account.
Here’s how to set up your Gmail account so that you can use this feature:
- Log in to your Gmail account.2. Click on the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner, and select “Settings.”
3. In the “General” tab, scroll down to the “Send mail as:” section and click on “Add another email address.”
4. Enter your name and Canon printer’s email address in the appropriate fields. Then, click on the “Next Step” button.
5. Select “Send through Gmail,” and then click on the “Next Step” button again.
6. Enter smtp.gmail.com in the “Server Name” field, and enter 465 in the “Port” field. Then, click on the “Next Step” button once more.
7. Finally, click on the “Send Verification” button to have a verification code sent to your Canon printer’s email address. Once you receive the code, enter it into the appropriate field and click on the “Verify” button.
Scan to e-mail setup for Canon Multi-functional Devices
Before beginning the scanning to email setup process for your Canon multifunction device, there are a few things you will need:
- The device must be connected to a network. If it is not, please connect it now.
- You will need the IP address of the device. This can be found in the device’s menus or by printing a network configuration page.
- If you are using Microsoft Outlook, you will need to know the address of your incoming and outgoing mail server (SMTP).
- This can usually be found in the account settings of Outlook. If you are unsure, please contact your email provider.
- If you are using Gmail, you will need to generate a unique app password. This can be done by logging into your Gmail account and going to the “security” tab under “my account”.
Now that you have everything you need, follow these steps to set up scan to email on your Canon multifunction device:
- On the control panel of the device, select “Scan” > “Email”.
- Enter the IP address of the device into the “Server Name or IP Address” field.
- Select whether you want to use SSL/TLS encryption for outgoing mail. If unsure, ask your email provider.
- Enter outgoing mail server information (SMTP). For Gmail users, this will be smtp.gmail.com. For Outlook users, this will be specific to your account/email provider
Connecting Your Copier to a Computer
There are many benefits to connecting your copier to a computer, including the ability to scan documents and email them directly from your machine. Follow the steps below to learn how to set up scan to email from your Canon printer.
- Press the Menu button on your printer’s control panel.2. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Scan menu and select it.
3. Select the Email option from the list of scanning destinations.
4. Enter the email address you want to send scanned documents to in the recipient field.
5. Press the Start button to begin scanning your document.
6. Once the scan is complete, press the Stop button and then press the Menu button to exit the Scan menu.
Setting the Sender/Receiver Name
When you set up your printer for the first time, you will be prompted to enter the sender and receiver name. The sender’s name is the name that will appear on the email when you send a document or photo to someone. The receiver’s name is the name of the person who will receive the email. If you don’t have a receiver’s name, you can leave this field blank.
If you want to know how to setup scan to email from your Canon printer, you’ve come to the right place. This guide will walk you through the process step-by-step so you can get started using this useful feature.
To begin, open the Settings menu on your Canon printer and select the Scan & Send option. Then, choose the type of file you’d like to scan (PDF, JPEG, or TIFF) and select the destination email address. You can also specify any other settings you’d like to change, such as the resolution or file format.
Once you’ve made your selections, hit the OK button and then press the Start button on the scanner. Your document will now be scanned and sent to the specified email address. That’s all there is to it!