This article will show you how to set up an out-of-office in Gmail. When you’re going on vacation, you’ll learn how to set up an automatic out of office reply for your emails in this article.
How to Setup Out of Office in Gmail on Desktop
Go to Gear Settings icon > Settings > Vacation responder to set up an out of office reply in Gmail on your computer. Turn On Vacation responder, Click here to enter your default message Save your changes.
- Open your Gmail account.
- Click the gear icon at the top-right corner.
- Choose settings
- Scroll down and check the box next to “Vacation Responder On“.
- Next, choose the dates you want automatic responses to be sent. Enter the Last Day in the Last Day box. This step can be skipped if you wish to disable automatic replies after you get back from the office. If you’re not sure when you’ll be back, this might be more convenient.
- Type your out of office reply. This will be the response that is automatically sent to all people who email you when you are not in office.
- You can also click the box to the right Only send a reply to people in my Contacts Please check this box. If you don’t check this box, your out-of-office reply will be sent to all those who have sent you an email. If you use your company’s or school’s Gmail account, you may also send an automatic response to just the people in your organization.
- Click on Save Changes now.
Notice: Gmail automatically adds your signature to automated replies. So, you don’t have to add your signature to your message. Gmail sends each recipient a vacation reply once. If you are emailed again by the same user after four days, or more, it will not do so again.
How to set up an Out of Office in Gmail App
Simply go to Menu > Settings to set the vacation response in the Gmail app on your iPhone or Android device. Select your account, then go to the Vacation Responder. Select the Vacation Responder, then enter your message and click Save Changes.
- Open your Gmail app. If you don’t have the Gmail app on your phone, you can download it from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- Next, tap the Menu bar in the upper left corner.
- Scroll down to select Settings.
- You can choose the Gmail account to be set up for an office reply. At the top, you will see all your email accounts.
- Next, select Vacation Responder in the General section.
- For automatic replies, set dates. You can choose none to disable automatic responses when you return to work.
- Next, Android users can tap Done on an iPhone, iPad, or both. You can find this in your screen’s top-right corner.
You can also click the slider right next to Only send to my contacts. Gmail can only send out-of-office replies to your contacts. You can also skip this step if you don’t want your holiday reply to be sent to everyone.
You can send an automated reply just to persons in your organization if you use your company or school’s Gmail account.
How to Turn Off Office in Gmail
Two ways can you disable the Vacation Responder. You will see a message at the top of your inbox about the respondent’s status while it is activated.
To turn off the responder, you can click End Now. This is a quick way to turn it off without having to go through your Gmail settings once more to adjust the response settings.
You can disable the Holiday Responder in Gmail settings.
Scroll down to the bottom for the Gmail Settings menu to find the Vacation Responder section.
Select Vacation Responder Off to disable the autoresponder.
You won’t have to do this if you set the Last Day field to the end date of your vacation. The Vacation Responder will be automatically deactivated after that date.
If you need to disable the Vacation Responder prior to setting the Last Day setting, the above method is possible.
Get Smarter with Office Replies in Gmail With Filters
Gmail Filters can be used to make a targeted reply and send personalized messages to specific users.
Before you can use the auto replay filter, you will need to create an email template in order to reply. For this purpose, send an email to Gmail. Please include the email you wish to respond to. Then, at the bottom right corner of the window, click the three dots “More” menu, pick Templates, Save as a template, and then Save as a new template.
The pop-up window will allow you to add your name to the template.
For Gmail filters, return to Gmail Settings. At the top of the Settings window, select Block Addresses and Filters.
Scroll to the bottom and click Create a new filter.
Enter the email address to which you wish to auto-reply in the From section of the Create filter form. When you’re done, select Create Filter.
In the Create Filter window, check the box next to Send template. Select the Boss Reply Template you have previously created in the drop-down menu.
Just click the Create Filter link at the bottom, and your new filter will be active.
When someone sends you an email with the address you indicated in the filter, they’ll get an out-of-office reply using the template you created.