Computer Science BA vs. BS – What’s the Difference?
Home >> Computer Science BS vs. – What is the Difference?
Bachelor of Arts (BA), Computer Science
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Computer Science is more humanities-oriented. The elective courses you can choose from are more varied, and you have the option to double major or minor in computer science. This will allow for a wider education. A majority of BA programs in computer science require nine credit hours of humanities courses, as well as electives.
Computer Science Bachelor of Science (BS),
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science is more of an engineering track. Most people who choose a BS degree program are interested in both the engineering and scientific aspects of computer science.
A BS degree allows you to choose a specialization or concentration, learn more technical subjects, and get in-depth knowledge about a particular area. The BS track offers courses in calculus, physics, and analysis of data structures and algorithmic theory.
Comparing Computer Science BA vs. BS Degrees
The BA usually gives students a broad understanding of computer science. This program offers courses in computer science, but also a foundation in the humanities. You may need to take courses in English, social sciences, communication, history, foreign languages, and English.
You may be able to choose to take elective courses if you are interested in pursuing a BA degree.
The Pros and Cons of a BA Computer Science Degree:
- Students who are unsure about their career path but know they want to study Computer Science may find this degree useful.
- You may find that extra courses in humanities can be very helpful. You may find it easier to communicate, increase your creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. These skills can be useful in any career you choose after graduation.
- By using elective courses, you can double major or choose a minor to fulfill the requirements.
Cons for a BA Computer Science:
- Computer science may require you to have fewer hours.
- It is possible that you will not be able to specialize in one area of computer science.
A BS degree in computer science usually allows you to be more specialized. A BS track may allow you to specialize or focus in a particular area of computer science. This would replace your electives.
This program might be more technical. There will be advanced courses and knowledge in computer science, as well as specific concentrations. You may not be able to choose from other courses if the BS program includes all the required courses.
The Pros and Cons of a BSc in Computer Science:
- Students who can identify the type of job they want after graduation may find this degree useful. You can choose to specialize in a specific area of computer science.
- Students who prefer a clear path and require specific courses may find this degree a good option. The BS program typically includes a list of required courses and no space for electives in any other subjects.
Cons for a BSc in Computer Science:
- You can’t choose from many electives or a defined degree program.
- Advanced mathematics courses may be necessary, but may not be appropriate for those who aren’t proficient in math.
We have already said that there is no difference in earning potential. It’s up to the student to choose a computer science BA vs BS.
Computer Science Careers
The use of technology by companies continues to increase at an alarming rate. Computer science graduates are highly sought-after to fulfill the technology and computer needs of companies. These are some of the most popular career options for graduates of a or traditional bachelor’s degree program in computer science.
- Computer and Information Systems Manager: This career track is responsible for the planning, coordination, and leadership of all computer-related tasks within a company. The average salary for information system managers and computer specialists is $146,360.
- Software Developer: This career path entails creating applications and systems for computers, tablets, smartphones, and other devices. Software developers make an average annual income of $107510.
- Web Developer: This career is ideal for those who are interested in designing and creating websites for clients and companies. An average web developer earns $73,760 annually.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for computer science majors in the information and technology field is $88,240. The annual salary for a computer science major could be anywhere from $70,000 to $160,000. These jobs will grow at 11% over the next 10 years making it worth getting a computer science diploma.
It all depends on your career goals, future interests, and educational goals.
Before applying for a program, it is important to verify that accreditation has been granted. To be accepted by future employers and other educational institutions, the college or university must be accredited by an agency. This allows them to verify that the program meets the required educational standards for success in the field.
The most popular type of accreditation you should look for is regional accreditation. Six regional agencies are located across the country and provide college and university accreditation based on their location and region. The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities may regionally accredit colleges and universities located in the Northwest.
Many college students can access financial aid to help them pay for college. There are many options for financial aid available to students, including scholarships, grants and awards, work-study programs, and student loans. This benefit is offered by even the top computer science universities.
Fill out the Free Application to Federal Student Aid to find out if and how much financial aid you are eligible for. Next, look into scholarships available from universities and private organizations.
Questions about obtaining a BS/BA in Computer Science
We have answers to some additional questions that you may have.
What is the difference between a BS in Computer Science and a BA in Computer Science?
A BS in computer science is slightly different from a BA. A BS allows you the opportunity to focus on a specific area of your future career while a BA allows for electives in other subjects that could lead to a minor or a double major.
For someone who isn’t sure of their career path, a BA might be a good choice. However, a BS could be a better option for someone who knows what they want to do.
Is a BSc in Computer Science worth it?
A BS in Computer Science can be a worthwhile degree for many students. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be an 11% growth in information and technology occupations in the next 10 years. Computer and information systems managers, web developers, and software engineers are all common careers in this field.
If you’re interested in technology and want to pursue a career in it, the BS in computer science track is similar to the BA track.
For those who know what career path they want to follow after graduation, for those who are interested in engineering and science, and for those who like a clear path of required courses, a BS in computer science can often be worth the investment.
What jobs can you get with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science?
ABA in computer science can lead to the same jobs as a BS. Both tracks could lead to software developers, web developers, and software engineers, among other careers. It all depends on your career goals and interests.
What is a better degree BA or BS?
There are no degrees that are better than others. It all depends on your personal interests, career goals, as well as educational goals. Both degrees prepare students for the same career paths and may result in similar average salaries.
It all depends on your goals when you look for a computer science degree. This can be done by researching the curriculums of different schools, their specializations, and requirements, as well as the program requirements.